What are some ideas for the recruitment and retention of Bilingual/ESL Educators?
Do you have a question regarding certification?
For information regarding educator certification click on the 29.061 - Bilingual Education and Special Language Program TeacherOpens a new window web page. To learn about obtaining a Texas educator certificate, click on Educator TestingOpens a new window web page.
Preparing to get ESL certified?
This course accompanies our TExES English as a Second Language (ESL) Supplemental #154 Preparation Manual. These resources are intended to equip Texas educators who desire to increase capacity in their districts and to enhance their existing ESL programs beyond minimum state requirements.
What are the teacher certification requirements for bilingual education and ESL programs? How do I know if I need to file a Bilingual Education exception or ESL waiver?
- Navigation Video: 2020-2021 Bilingual Education Exception and ESL Waiver Application Instructions (running time 12:54)
- Bilingual Education Exception Scenario ChainOpens a new window (PDF) and Explanatory Video - Bilingual Programs (running time 18:34)
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Waiver Scenario ChainOpens a new window (PDF) and Explanatory Video - ESL Programs (running time 13:09)
- Code Guide Opens a new window for Bilingual and ESL Program Association
- Texas Education Data Standards (TEDS) Section 4 Opens a new window- Description of Codes (2019-2020 EL related code tables, including new funding code table updates)
- LEP/EL Decision Chart Opens a new window for the Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC)
Where should I go if I need to file a Bilingual Education exception and/or ESL waiver?
- Frequently-Asked-Questions: Bilingual Education Exception and ESL WaiverOpens a new window
- Allowable Use of Bilingual Education Allotment (BEA) Funds Comprehensive Professional Development PlanOpens a new window