Each tab below highlights new information that has been added to the various sections of the portal.
For information about the Language Proficiency Assessment Committee and resources available, refer to the Frequently-Asked-Questions (FAQ) for English Learners and the Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC) posted at the TEA Bilingual and English as a Second LanguageOpens a new window Programs web page. The FAQ is listed under Program Requirement Resources.
The specific questions related to this topic are located in
- Section I. LPAC Introduction
- Section II. Identification
- Section III. Placement
- Section IV. English Learner Services
- Section V. Review and Reclassification
- Section VI. Monitoring and Evaluation
How and when are English learners assessed in Texas?
English learners take the same state assessments as all other children in Texas, currently known as the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness, or STAAR. For parent-friendly information on this assessment, visit the Texas Assessment website.
All English learners are also assessed using the Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System, or TELPAS. This assessment measures the progress English learners are making in learning the English language. For information on the STAAR and TELPAS, visit the Information on State Assessments for English Learners web page.
The following resources in English and Spanish provide parents with information on the Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS).
For information that explains the assessment, English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS), Proficiency Level Descriptors (PLDs), and accommodations, visit the TELPAS FAQs for Parents in EnglishOpens a new window and TELPAS FAQs for Parents in SpanishOpens a new window.
The tabs below provide important updates and guidance.
Support and guidance provided by TEA
- TEA is closely monitoring the novel Coronavirus outbreak. Please click below for important updates and guidance.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Support and GuidanceOpens a new window
- TEA is working closely with local partners to help students gain access to breakfast and lunch during the quarantine. Please click the link below for meal locations near you.
Texas School Meal FinderOpens a new window
- TEA has created a list of resources and FAQs to create general guidance for special populations. Please click on the link for resources.
Special Populations GuidanceOpens a new window
English Learner Support and Guidance Resources
In response to school closures related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the TEA English Learner Support Division has revised and developed the following resources:
- Date: July 23-24, 2020
- Location: Marriott San Antonio Rivercenter
- Website: https://titleiii.esc2.net/ Opens a new window
- Please check website for details concerning updates due to COVID-19.
- Date: April 28-30, 2020
- Location: Embassy Suites, San Marcos, Texas
- Website: https://www.acetx.org/ Opens a new window